Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vomistop?? Why not?

On Saturday we leave for our week long family vacation to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  We'll be staying in Rodanthe.  This vacation couldn't have come at a better time.  Joe has been sick for two weeks and my stress levels have hit the roof!  Obviously, I handle most of our life on the home-front, but Joe does help out a bit.  Since he's been sick, he's been of no help to me or the kids.  He's even been sleeping in the guest room so that he doesn't get Marlo or me sick.  I think the biggest help from Joe is when Liam wakes up during the night he will settle him back to sleep.  But with Joe being sick, this is one of my added duties.  For the past two weeks I've been waking up 4-5 times a night between both kids.  I am beyond exhausted.  It is the same kind of exhaustion that occurred right after my kids were born and I was breastfeeding around the clock.

(Spoiler alert...if you are squeamish or completely disgusted by breastfeeding talk - stop reading!)

A few days ago I realized that it hurt when I nursed Marlo.  After exclusively nursing for almost 9 months and this being my second go at it, I feel like I'm a professional breastfeeder.  I know what to do with thrush, mastitis, clogged ducts, bad latching, and the list goes on.  But I had two lacerations at the base of my nipples that were unlike anything I had ever seen before.  So, I decided to speak with a lactation consultant at Milkaclicious, a breastfeeding boutique in Aliso Viejo, to figure out what the nipple issue was.  The LC and owner of the boutique, Jennifer, was awesome.  She examined the ladies, watched Marlo nurse and discussed our feeding routines in depth.  We both noticed that Marlo pulled off really hard after the feeding  was complete; thus, she was creating the lacerations by pulling hard at the skin.  Jennifer said that babies do this when they are trying to eek out more milk.  Jennifer asked if I've been under stress lately and tired.  I jumped at that question and realized that the nursing issues started soon after Joe got sick and I became overly stressed and exhausted at home. 

Jennifer suggested that we increase my milk supply since stress was most likely taking a toll on me.  She gave me Vomistop, generic for Domperidome, an anti-nausea over-the-counter drug.  Well, it's over the counter in every other country, but the United States,  which Jennifer says is all about money and politics.  ERRRR...so she gave me a two week supply and I will be purchasing the rest from some online pharmacy in Canada.  She said unlike Fenugreek (a commonly used herbal remedy to increase milk supply), Vomistop does not enter the blood stream at all.  She used it herself for three years and said that I should notice an increase in my supply within 24-48 hours - awesome!

So, here's to hoping the Vomistop will do the trick and keep Marlo from her fierce pull-offs.  Sigh.  I've got to admit that I can't wait to be done breast feeding.  I remember feeling this way with Liam.  And then when I weened Liam and was pregnant with Marlo, I missed nursing and couldn't wait to start again.  I suppose it's a healthy cycle.  But man, the breast feeding exclusively road is a LONG, LONG road. 


Any other moms ever try Vomistop or Domperidone to increase milk supply? Please let me know how it went!

10 comments:

  1. I haven't ever heard of it! I drink the Mother's Milk tea when my supply is down and that really helps. It has fenugreek in it, but it hasn't bothered Liam at all. I'd love to hear if it works! Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also heard really good things about these lactation cookies. http://www.simplyrealmoms.com/posts/does-breastmilk-come-in-chocolate/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lactation cookies!!! Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Jennifer has saved my life on two different occasions and tomorrow will make three as I have mastitis--again! Boooo! I'm a huge fan of fenugreek and fennel seed. Both increased my supply within a day or two. And, as the saying goes, "Empty breast and lots of rest." Good luck, momma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! Jennifer is GREAT! Mastitis, boo for sure! Good luck as well!

      Delete
  5. So how did it work for you. I've been nursing strong for 6months but I recently went back to work and the stress of juggling work and single motherhood has really messed up my flow. I was told by my LC that I should try the vomistop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So how did it work for you. I've been nursing strong for 6months but I recently went back to work and the stress of juggling work and single motherhood has really messed up my flow. I was told by my LC that I should try the vomistop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, it did wonders! Seriously, vomistop saved me big time. Within 10 hours of taking it I was making so much milk I had to pump at the end of the day because I had so much extra. You can read my post that follows and I say a few things about it - http://howkaricsit.blogspot.com/2012/10/holy-cowvomistop-works.html

      It's not easy to get. I got some samples from my LC and then I ordered it through an online Canadian pharmacy. Let me know if you have any other questions! But I say you should go for it!

      Delete
  7. Hey thanks for posting this because I wondered how this worked... I have been taking the brand name and noticed that the vomistop comes at better price per pill... Domperidone at 100 pills vs. vomistop 500 pills... and to address the name it's because its meds to stop nausea and sea sickness so it stops vomit :) But I recently had surgery and had to pump and dump, noticed a major dip in supply and have to get it back up before I return to work and my baby girl is 8 weeks old.. hope I can:)

    ReplyDelete