Thursday, April 11, 2013

No more Hiding it Now

This evening as I was reading Liam his bedtime story, he started giggling and playing with my stomach and asked me, "Mommy is there another baby in there or are you just eating a lot."  I had to start to laughing.  And I didn't want to tell him the truth, that in November, if all goes well, a little special somebody will be joining the family.  So I just said, "I don't know?  Maybe I'm just eating a lot."

It's actually been hard for me not write about my pregnancy on my blog, but it's been a bit of a rough start.  And I'm still not out of the woods.  I'm about 9 weeks along and at 5 and half weeks I started bleeding a ton.  It was so bloody, and we're talking bright red blood, that I thought for sure I was miscarrying.  I've never had a miscarriage, but what else could it be?  I saw my OBGYN that afternoon and had already prepared to be told I was miscarrying.  So when my doctor said it wasn't a miscarriage I was shocked for sure.  The bleeding was caused by a hematoma in my uterus.  Basically, there is a blood clot between where the baby is and the placenta attached.  On the ultrasound picture I have, you can see this huge black mass (the clot) and then you can see where the placenta is attached and then where it is not attached due to the clot.  The good news - these clots usually resolve by around 13 weeks - they are accompanied with bleeding which is scary but usually they go away.  In some cases when they stick around into the second trimester they can cause some serious issues, the most common being placental abruption - placenta detaches completely from uterus and causes preterm labor.  Very serious stuff.

My OBGYN is hopeful that my clot will resolve before the second trimester.  Unfortunately, size matters and my clot is pretty huge.  But the baby has been growing and has a strong heartbeat so because baby is thriving despite gigantic clot with only a partially attached placenta, he thinks baby will make it through.  It's nerve racking for sure and it's been hard for me to get excited about this baby since it's been a rough start.  And I didn't want to blog about it and then have to depress everyone if things don't go well.  But honestly, if I miscarried, I would blog about it anyway whether or not I had come clean about being pregnant.  So, there you have it.

And as for Liam noticing, well, that's just hilarious because I'm showing at 9 weeks.  It's sad really.  It took me until about 4-5 months with Liam and Marlo before I showed.  Check out the picture of me at the top of my blog - my wedding day, I was 4 months pregnant here and barely showing.  By baby number three there are no abdominal muscles left, just flabby gut.  On the bright side, I guess I started this pregnancy out about 10 pounds underweight so I get to gain a few extra this time around.  This is pretty funny to me because anyone who knows me would never think I'm underweight. Sure, I'm slim, but by no means underweight.  According to my doctor, though, I've got to pack on a few more.  Done and done. Already 5 lbs. up.  Me eat extra?  Never a problem.

Hope to report good news with this little bun in the next few weeks!  Gah!  My children will outnumber Joe and me...now that is terrifying!

No comments:

Post a Comment