Wednesday, December 19, 2012

All I want for Christmas are my two Front Teeth!

After my last post, I thought I'd bring back some humor to my blog with revealing the tragedy of my two front teeth.  About ten years ago I knocked out my front teeth, the top ones.  It's a long story, but basically, I was in a swimming pool and had an accident and lost them.  I had bonds on them for a while, and finally got veneers after the bonds were constantly chipping.

A few weeks ago my veneers chipped.  I always thought veneers were like diamonds - they didn't, or very rarely chipped.  Guess I was wrong.  And, let me add, that veneers are not cheap. And if you chip one, you replace them all.  I thought I could live with the chip until my insurance would cover them (another 3 years..ridiculous!!?)  But then another piece chipped so I decided to suck it up and get my two veneers replaced.

So, they put temporary veneers on while the actual permanent teeth are being made.  It takes a couple of weeks.  I've been in some pain, but the pain is small potatoes compared to how awful the fake veneers look.  The day after they were put on the tops of my teeth started to turn grayish-blue.  And each day since they've discolored even more.  I now look like I have two rotting front teeth and haven't seen a dentist for twenty years.  Fantastic. I called my dentist to complain and she said this is all perfectly normal!! Really?! For $1200 couldn't my temporary veneers at least be the color of my teeth?!

Closed mouth you wouldn't think twice...


I smile...and whoa! 

I get my new teeth this Friday so only two more days of looking like this...I don't mean to be so vain.  And when I think of how stupid it is for me to be complaining about some funky teeth when the nation is mourning the loss of those beautiful babies, I honestly want to give myself a smack.  But, I suppose we could all use a good laugh.  And come on, you can't not look at this picture of me and not laugh!



4 comments:

  1. Aw, too funny. Well, I guess not really :( I hope you get your two front teeth for Christmas and thanks for the laugh :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I’m so sorry that it happened to you, Kari! It can be really uncomfortable to wear temporary veneers! But like what your dentist said, it is actually normal. The use of temporary veneers is for you to have an idea on what to expect with the permanent veneers—in terms of shape, size, and bite. Anyway, since you already had your permanent teeth, I hope the result is very satisfying. =)

    Seth Webster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Seth! That drill could help you get comfortable with the permanent veneers. You know, this procedure is very expensive so it should be done with precision and care.

    Jamar Schaffer

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing wrong about being fussy when it comes to the dental department. They are mostly the ones that people notice when you speak with them. Therefore, they have to be presentable at all times. Anyway, I’m glad that you already have your permanent veneers. I hope that they fit fine, and you haven't encountered any problems with it.

    Kenny Green @ Anchorage Healthy Smiles

    ReplyDelete