Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Know Your Redhead History

Since I have a redheaded child, I decided to do a little bit of research about redheads.  Here are some summarizing points from my research:

1.) Red hair occurs naturally among 1-2% of the human population - totally makes me feel special for having a redhead child!

2.) It is the rarest hair color - again, Marlo is pretty darn special!

3.) Red hair occurs in people with two copies of a recessive gene on Chromosome 16 which causes a mutation in a particular protein. - I'm thinking that both the mother and father need to have this recessive gene since two copies are needed (but I'm not science major!)

4.) It is thought that 46% of the Irish population carry the recessive gene for red hair. So, If you want a redheaded child - you're best bet is to find an Irish mate!

5.)But...Scottland has the highest proportion of redheads - 13% of the population.

6.) The US has the largest population of redheads 2-6% of the population - about 6-18 million.

7.)Red hair is very common amongst Ashkenazi Jews (maybe from the mix of European DNA over centuries)...this also may be the reason why Joe carries the recessive gene - his family are Ashkenazi Jews.  I have several red heads in my family, but Joe knows no one in his family who had red hair.  so that recessive gene must go way, way back.

8.) In Europe, prior to the 20th Century, redheads were so commonly identified as Jews that all redheads during the Spanish Inquisition were identified as Jews.

9.) Shakespeare would even identify Jewish characters by giving them red hair.

10.) Discrimination: "Gingerphobia" is the hatred towards people with red hair, "gingerism" is predjudice towards redheads - nuts? I've never heard of these before but, how about "ginger-elitists" (like me) as the term for those who think their children are superior because of their red hair? ;-)

11.) Redhead Day is a Dutch summer festival that occurs for two days in September every year that celebrates people with red hair - how awesome is that?!

There were other details about pigmentation and skin sensitivity and such for redheads since many redheads have extra sensitive skin, but these bullet points were the ones I found most interesting.  My cousin and his wife both have red hair and they have the most adorable (seriously not saying this because we're related) little redheaded girl I've ever seen.  But I'm sure her hair color wasn't much of a surprise to them. They both clearly have the gene.  But Joe and I were quite surprised with our little red head.  I sure do hope it stays red forever.  Looking at her hair reminds me of the little miracles of the world - the little wonderful things that are so unlikely to happen but do...Marlo's hair is the story of the underdog winning, you know? 

My Little Redhead

 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Red hair really is a celebration of the underdog - I'd never thought of it like that. Marlo is such a doll and I'm glad that she's part of this exclusive club :) Yay for redheads!

    ReplyDelete